Monday, February 3, 2014

24 hours in another persons life..Wow!

That famous saying walk a day in my shoes and you won't be saying what you do! Boy oh boy have I heard that my entire life from my mom and nanny always reminding me not to judge others not to bully others you don't know where they come from. I remember when I was little and got bullied like all kids and tried to tell others to live one day in my life and they wouldn't be saying what they do..psh yea right nobody ever listens to that. At some point we need to wake up and smell the tulips y'all just say "Bless It!" and keep on keeping on. I know it's hard to do but I found a trick that helps me keep my southern nose to myself and not judge others; furthermore, that does not mean I will not stick up for someone being bullied.
Here it is y'all every time someone irks you, hits that pet peeve of yours, makes you want to grr between your teeth I want you to write it down and list that person. Here is an example: There was a kid growing up that just irked me still does to this day as a grownup all of the other kids picked on that one. One day I got home and just started making a list of what I knew and started to talking to that person learning more. That person was a child of 14 in a 3 bedroom rental home living with their mother after their father left her for someone barely 18. All of them passed down clothes that didn't always fit right and by the time the youngest got it well it was stained, worn, and full of holes. Sometimes they didn't eat and you can forget television or internet...oh yes in the 20th century no tv or computer!! I felt horrible for ever getting aggravated at this person for just craving attention, wanting a friend, not the best of manners but when would they have been taught about manners or cleanliness when half the time they didn't have water of electricity. The oldest sibling had a nasty scar right across the face from a drunken night from the parents fighting and getting caught in the crossfire and how many times that one couldn't find a date as they were referred to as hideous and scary. There are many other stories of those I know bullied and judged foster kids told they didn't belong because their parents weren't blood related, a girl who committed abortion from threat of being kicked out of her home not knowing what other choice to make nobody to turn to, a girl who moved and lived in more schools than fingers and toes could count by 6th grade, a girl who moved here from another country illegal and feared to be sent back daily and what would happen to her parents and her 7 siblings. With each person you cross paths with daily there are stories to be told that map out why that person is who they are.
Just spend 24 hours in another persons life and that is all you need to find out who they are! Not everyone is perfect from perfect homes and families but deep down have great hearts! I myself come from a broken home born into a trailer park went to 3 different schools had 7 siblings as a child and an evil worse than snow white and Cinderellas stepmother. I got picked on oh you know it, but hey I graduated in a nice neighborhood with loving family had a 3.7 GPA upon college graduation worked for my dreams and am happy where I am at. Judging others is for police, doctors, attorneys, judges, politicians, advocates, and God not for you, me, or billy bob joe whoever. Before you open your mouth to down another person look deep down and see what it would be like to live in their life for just 24 hours. You might just end up flabbergasted at what you see! No matter the gender, orientation, religion or color love everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment